Delta Dental has a great informational website called cavitiesgetaround.com, we recently came across these fun tooth facts on their site! We hope you enjoy them!
1. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in your body. It covers the outside of your teeth and protects them from decay. It might be incredibly strong but sugary drinks like juice and soda can eat away the enamel causing cavities to form.
2. Your mouth produces over 25,000 quarts of saliva throughout your life! You could fill 2 swimming pools with all that! Be thankful, saliva helps repair early tooth decay!
3. Brushing your teeth daily reduces tooth decay by 25%. It’s a very important part of your day! Make sure you are brushing correctly for the best results.
4. You can only see two-thirds of your teeth. Where is the other third hiding? Underneath your gums! This is why you must floss your teeth daily to clean the parts of your tooth you can’t see!
5. Teeth are as unique as fingerprints. No two people have the same set of teeth. Smile and be proud of yours, they are one of a kind!
6. You have only 2 sets of teeth during your lifetime. That might seem like plenty, but sharks get 40 sets. After your baby teeth fall out, the permanent teeth have to last the rest of your life so take good care of them!
7. Tooth brushes have existed for thousands of years! (Sort of) There is evidence of people using twigs to clean their teeth thousands of years ago and it seemed to be effective!
8. Everyone has the same number of teeth. Human mouths are designed to hold 32 teeth. That might seem like a lot but snails have 25,600!
9. Your teeth are forming before you are born. Teeth start to form when you are in the womb, but do not come out until you are between six and twelve months old.
10. Baby teeth matter. They guide adult teeth so they come in straight. Also, cavities can spread from baby teeth to adult teeth. Healthy baby teeth = healthy adult teeth!